Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Why Recognize Admins and not other Staff?

I respectfully decline to agree with admins that don't believe we should have a day of recognition.  It's a topic of conversation within our administrative community of peers..and quite the hot button topic if I do say so myself...

There are other professionals that have their day of recognition.  There's Nurses Day and Teacher's Appreciation Day etc... and perhaps it is just recognition fatigue.  Kind of like that fatigue that sets into parents about the fourth week of a new school year when their kid is coming home with enough forms to cover the DC Beltway.  Enough. Right?!

Well, I see both points of view... and if my supervisor came to me and said we're not going to do anything special for the admin team this year for Administrative Professionals Day, I probably wouldn't like it but I wouldn't be surprised.   Most executives and teams only think about the admin that supports THEM. 

Then we have the administrative professionals that don't want to be known as administrative professionals.  They insist on telling you that their title is -- Coordinator or Project Associate or Team Lead.... That's fine. But it's a disservice to the younger professionals coming up behind them AND it gives managerial/human resource staff more leeway to dismiss the importance of the volumed variety of administrative tasks we take on daily.  You know what  you cover in a day.. so if you want to sidestep because the title seems less than.. go right ahead.

So I say to you- to quote a fairly recent song.. Go ahead and hate on me haters. 

I love being an administrative professional. I never have a dull day.  I have to constantly learn new skills and pay attention to what is going on around me.  I'm good at what I do.  I get paid a decent salary and I see myself as a vital part of the success of my workplace. I can celebrate it all by myself..but I'd rather celebrate it with as many of my peers as possible. Why? Because we celebrate the amazing things we accomplish with less resources, less time and less guidance...and we pretty much get the job done right on time.  Kudos my peers... This day is for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment